Saturday, July 17, 2010

I Am Walking Through Mud

I Am Walking Through Mud

Do not joke about fucking babies if you don't get pussy
Do not joke about killing animals if you are wrapped in bacon
Do not joke about jerking off Jesus if you don't know where he's been
Do not joke about rape if you are dyslexic
Stop finger banging me in the candy aisle at the grocery store
Maniacs, retards, and intellects all speak truths even when they are covered up in crazy
too few, too many words
and you might have to dissect to find the beating heart
my hair is sticking to the brick wall
my face is raw and you need to shave
I wish you would let me out of the trunk.
I wish you would have understood the meaning
my brain is raw and my aura is splattered with somebody else's blood
somebody tell me where this blood is coming from
I'm sure somebody knows
Your red flag makes me weep
profoundly
for the future
The rules are piling up. The rules are spilling over.
They are sticking to the bottom of my shoes.
I am walking through mud.
 
 Lara Konesky is a 31-year-old gypsy/mother/teacher from Columbus, Ohio. She enjoys outlaws, exaggerations, working with refugees, barbaric and rebellious children, burdens, and sobriety. After extensive philosophical training, she decided the only real life was the life of the poet.
Lara's first book, Next to Guns, can be found at www.grievousjonespress.com (Grievous Jones Press, 2009). She recently co-edited (with Andrew Taylor, Erbacce Press) and contributed to Blood at the Chelsea (Erbacce Press 2010), an anthology of writers writing for other writers. You can also read Lara's work online and in print at New Aesthetic, Gutter Eloquence, Word Riot, and various other rad places.

No comments: