Thursday, August 5, 2010

Three Pieces From John Swain

White Cloth


I purchased white cloth
to lay across the rain
like the tomb of a queen.
Released from the sky,
we delight
in immaterial textures
borne by our gated mind
to touch contemplation
like pears at your lips.

Carapace of Thunder


Delirium of sky
spiraling to earth,
I take shade
beneath a hawk
and lose myself
in the field.
The wind comes
from the west
beneath a carapace
of thunder.
I crawl back
to my own flesh,
never more present,
wrest from this arc.

Tresses of Feathers


Osprey wrists pierce my dream
in a trickling pool beneath the dam
as leaning catfish raise their fins
mocking the talon.
Upon a brief touch,
the dead tree strengthens my arm
to forsake this caging mind.
I cup the water running
from tresses of feathers
and then return the wine to earth.

--John Swain lives in Louisville, Kentucky. His chapbooks, Prominences and Sinking of the Cloth appeared from Flutter Press and Set Apart Before the World Was Made appeared from Calliope Nerve Media. Full of Crow published his ebook, The Feathered Masks and a forthcoming chapbook, Burnt Palmistry.

No comments: