Sunday, August 8, 2010

Who Are They?

Who Are They?


who are they?
these angels
who constantly care for me
while I sit
and brood and breed
unkind words
sometimes
not caring
whether I am loved
or unloved?

who are they?
these angels
who call my home?
who offer me gifts
and kind words
and ground coffee
and homemade dinner
and simple treasures like-
a walk on the beach
or a shopping spree at Albertson's?

I do not deserve this.
I am a sponge.

but they care for me.

who are they?
where do they live?

maybe in some secret cave
on some high mountain
where love still exists
and the heart still moves.

--Mike Meraz is a poet from Los Angeles who currently lives in New Orleans. He is the author of two books of poetry Black-Listed Poems and All Beautiful Things Travel Alone. Both are available at Lulu.com and Amazon.com. He is also the editor of Black-Listed Magazine.

1 comment:

Karen said...

no one really deserves to be loved. it's great to take the time to appreciate what we have.