Saturday, January 29, 2011

Genesis

Genesis

When you're gone, the world starts again, and I don't like it much. "A Million Little Pieces" James Frey

When you're gone, the world starts again, and I don't like it much
Things are nothing for a while
As I fist fight my shadows in the dark

When the stars straight jacket me to the mantel
and the ocean finally comes
The salt holds me accountable for every unkind word you ever said

I scream, with lungs full of water, for the shore line to finally meet me

When the land makes itself beneath my feet
The blueprints of my veins are stolen, copied, and recreated beneath the dust and dirt
to feed the seeds and grow us a sanctuary

I watch the sun rise again for the first time
And put the moon I pulled down just for you, back
I now know time, it's passage is insufferable and I wish I hadn't learned what days were

When I finally see you again
It is the first time for the both of us

--Dain Michael Down is a traveling story teller and founder of the anti bullying project The Strengthening Project. He started his creative life in Jersey and since has called Atlanta, Seattle, The Road, and Ohio home.  He currently resides in Oklahoma City as a member of an active poet house.

No comments: