Friday, February 4, 2011

I Thought About It

I Thought About It

I thought about becoming a Feminist,
but I loved the scent of aftershave & rough hands
a little too much.

I thought about becoming a ballerina,
small tits & all, but every ballerina that I had to teach me
was already broken.

I thought about saving people, doing all that good Philanthropy
stuff that gets you into heaven & makes your heart feel
like you are worth something-

but I could barely get out of bed or quit starving myself.

I thought about becoming a tree, still & observant & always
at peace with my surroundings,

but my surroundings would not let me find peace.

I thought about becoming a song-writer & singer,
something like Mclachlan or Amy Lee, but my voice cracked
& tears choked whenever I attempted
to sing the truth.

I thought about becoming a whore,
because at least they get paid for their good service
& having to endure boring conversations.

I thought about becoming a mute, that way I would never
have to shut out the yelling or insults & would never be expected
to talk intelligently or softly or even at all
in the critical rooms.

I thought about becoming the rain,
that way I could always be somewhere & yet
always disappear.

I wish I was the rain.

--Heather Lenz is the poetry editor for First Step Press Online. Some of her work has appeared in Falling Star Magazine, Dance to Death, Because We Write and others.

No comments: