Friday, March 4, 2011

Five Pieces from Maureen Kingston

Virgins

Faux
bricks

of floral
foam

un-
sculpted

thirsty

self-
absorbed

center-
pieces

yearning
for a

stem’s
first prick.

DNA Mapping

New
chapter
same
old book
of genesis

who
begat
whom

lines &
equal
signs
& genetic
markers

all robbing
Adam
& Eve
of mystery
           
their dirty
laundry
forced

finally

to come
clean.
 
America the Beautiful

Seeing
through all

Superman’s
x-ray gaze

penetrates
my body

politic

scans my
canyon walls

flickers
up and down

my 100th
meridian.

But
no matter

how hot
he stares

Superman
can’t weld

my axial
divides

my axial
fears

right of left
north of south

us of them.

He can’t
fuse

my
severed

spinal
chord.


On Probation

Lounging
on the
loading
dock,
greasy
mats at
her feet,
a roach
clip
between
her lips.

In the
parking lot,
her mother,
full-scale
drumhead,
tapping,
tapping
her acrylic
coke nail.

Advice for My New Lover

Strike
a          
line
through
my
X,
make
me 
a
star.

--Maureen Kingston lives and works in eastern Nebraska.  Her poems are forthcoming in the Bicycle Review, Blue Collar Review, Breadcrumb Scabs, Grey Sparrow Journal, Honey Land Review, The Literary Burlesque, Muddy River Poetry Review, Pemmican, Sleet Magazine and Tipton Poetry Journal.

1 comment:

Geoff M. Pope said...

“Advice for My New Lover” is fantast(erisk)ic!