Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Cyclops

after the painting by Odilon Redon,
1914)

Think of me not as a monstrous thing
A one-eyed miscreation of a jealous god
I am
As human as you think you are.

I cry tears that are genuine
My laugh generous
I love
My blood as red as a slaughtered lamb’s.

I come to you with open arms
Devouring you as no other can
I am
A man who would not dishonor you

The last one of my kind
A beast that hovers in your thoughts
I lust
That you shall be the mother of my race.

--Neil Ellman lives and writes in New Jersey.  He has published numerous ekphrastic poems in print and online journals throughout the world, as well as in five chapbooks, the most recent of which is Mirrors of MirĂ³:  Ekphrastic Reflections of the Art of Joan MirĂ³.  He has a special affinity to art that is bizarre and surreal.

No comments: