Tuesday, April 5, 2011

On the Inside

On the Inside
You leave me
Blue-black
On the inside
Bruised,
Contorted,
Stomach in knots.
You leave me
Sick
On the inside
Nauseated,
Dizzy,
Ready to puke.
You leave me
Pained
On the inside
Breathless,
Gasping,
Forgetting how to breathe.
You leave me
Worried
On the inside.
Worrying myself,
Worrying about you,
Until I’m blue-black,
Contorted,
Sick,
Nauseated,
Breathless,
And pained
On the inside.

--Christina Howard is a poet and spoken word artist living in Louisville, KY with her two beautiful children. She is a regular at open mic nights around the city and has hosted local spoken word shows, including a poetry slam to support the non-profit “Fight Crimes Against Children Organization.” In 2009, she was a facilitator for “Minimizing Violence through Poetry and Spoken Word,” an initiative to support local youth, sponsored by the non-profit “River City Drum Corp Cultural Arts Institute.” She has twice appeared on the local WB show “Poetic Expressions” and recently performed at “Artography 2011.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing poem! Christina Howard is a true poetic genius and I know there are big things in store for this talented woman!