Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sameness

I am riding the bus back home
after the 12 hour job;
re-reading Umberto Eco’s –
Foucault's Pendulum
as the bus keep on going
and I notice something;
this guy two seats from me
is reading some book too,
that is okay I say, but he
put his bus ticket between
the pages which he reads
right now, like I do, and
that is something strange
for me, always has been,
a lot of men looking like
me, doing the things that
I do, the same way, the
same manner,
they read the way I read,
the bleed the way I bleed,
they breathe the way I breathe,
they kiss the way I kiss,
and they most probably
copulate the way I do;
I feel strange, frightened,
banal, trivial, hackneyed;
I want this to stop, I don’t
want to be repeated and
unoriginal and yet I know
that this is impossible;
right?
please, tell me,
Jesus?
Muhammad?!

--Peycho Kanev has been writing poetry for the past 10 years. His poems have appeared in more than 400 literary magazines. He is nominated for the Pushcart Award and lives in Chicago. His new poetry collection “Bone Silence” was released in September 2010 by Desperanto, NY.

No comments: